Au Pair Training School
Every au pair attends a comprehensive Au Pair Training School and Orientation Program in San Francisco, CA at the beginning of the program year as they prepare to join their host family. This custom program is designed both to educate au pairs on child development and safety and to ensure they have an understanding of the great responsibility that comes with being an au pair for an American family.
The Au Pair Training School staff employs a range of online material, lectures, readings, videos, active discussions, and hands-on activities to connect with each au pair in a meaningful and informative manner.
In addition to work completed in their home country while preparing for departure, au pairs spend multiple days in San Francisco where they attend small-group sessions that provide detailed information on a broad range of child safety and child development topics.
The Au Pair Training School is a great way for au pairs to overcome jet lag, ask questions in a comfortable environment, and prepare for the meaningful work they will accomplish with their host children. It is also a way for au pairs to meet one another and classmates often stay in touch throughout the entire program year.
Au Pair Training School Content
The Au Pair Training School topics include the following:
- Roles and responsibilities of an au pair
- Health Insurance, J-1 Visas, and Program Regulations
- American culture & the typical American household
- Creating a positive working relationship with host parents
- Preparing for culture shock
- In- depth Child Development and Safety courses for:
- Newborns to 12 months
- Age 12 months to 24 months
- Ages 2 to 5
- Ages 5 to 12+
- Establishing routines and maintaining flexibility
- Health and nutritional needs of children
- Child temperament and communicating effectively with children of all ages
- Sibling relationships and how to care for more than one child at a time
- Household safety & hygiene
- Safety training for infants, toddlers and young children, and much more!